Keller Travels

Keller Travels

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Hiking around Sedona

I'm still trying to catch up from the other day when I accidently deleted a blog post.  Sunday, Feb 5th we hiked 3 trails that connected; Brins Mesa, Soldier Pass, and Jordon.  We were on the trail for 5 hours to hike about 8 miles.  We were tired at the end of the day.

This trails heads to the foot of the Brins Mesa and continues a climb onto the mesa.  It was a another beautiful day.

Lots of rocks on the trail



The mesa is the flat top on the mountain in the background



We planned the day to get Phil back in time for the start of the Superbowl.  As for me there just happened to be a Native American Jewelry Show here at the resort.  So of course I had to check it out!


On Monday Feb 6th we drove to Fay Canyon.  Two couples on 4-wheelers were in the parking lot.  We chatted and Phil took a picture before we started on this short hike of 2.2 miles.  This is a popular trail as it is flat with nice views.  The trail ends when you reach a giant rock formation.  One can climb the rock and see the views from the other side.

The  "easy" way to see the views.


I enjoyed the views while Phil climbed up the formation and took photos.

Climbing back down.






At the end of the trail this bird was just waiting to have his picture taken!

We ate our lunch and drove just down the road to start another trail.  We were told Long Canyon trail  had the most amazing views.  It is 8 miles round trip.  Again an easy flat beginning that changed quickly to climbing in and through dry creek beds 6 or 7 times, before we started the ascend up the path for the overview of the canyon.  We didn't quite make it to the end when we decided to turn around.  The trail was very steep and narrow.  We both sat and slide down in several spots.  So we called it a success and turned around to walk the 4 miles back!  Yes, the views were amazing. 





I'll gladly walk through rocks instead of water anyday!









One view of the Sedona rocks.
 We drove home and were eating dinner when I noticed the sunset.  So I stood outside on our deck and snapped this picture.



We ended the day by attending another lecture at the resort titled Ancestral Arizona Indian Customs.  The speaker was a Hopi Indian and gave a most interesting presentation!

No comments:

Post a Comment