Keller Travels

Keller Travels

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Day 4: Royal Gorge and Air Force Academy


          




The bridge was built in the 1920's and it amazes me that men could build this without the use of "modern" technology.  One can take a sky cable ride, train ride through the bottom of the canyon, or ride the incline train down into the canyon.  We just walked across the bridge!  It took us about 90 minutes to see the views from the park.  


The track is running vertical down the side of the canyon. 


When we first drove up I didn't think I could walk across anything so high in the air.  But I did!



Cables, towers, and more cables and towers!

Everyone was asking us to take their picture.  These bikers were from AR and I decided to join the picture.  
 From the gorge, we drove about an hour to the north side of Colorado Springs and entered the Air Force Academy.  There was quite a bit of traffic and we discovered that there was a big soccer tournament scheduled.  Our main reason for visiting today was to see the show, Rhythm Nation.  Tops In Blue is a touring performance ensemble made up of active duty members of the United States Air Force formed in 1953.  For 2 hours the ensemble celebrated music over the years.  The music, singing, and dancing was  fantastic.  No cameras were allowed but this is one picture taken off their web site. 



A visit to the Air Force academy is not complete without the seeing the chapel.  Phil went early while I waited in line for the show.  After the show we went back to the chapel and it was closed for a wedding.  I'll have to see it another time!

Beautiful sky complimented the chapel.




I can't believe I didn't get to see inside the chapel.

Beautiful sky as we left the academy.

It was another great day. Once we got back to the RV park, there was an ice cream social. You just had to bring a bowl, a spoon, and choose from 14 flavors! So good!  It's been thundering and lightening with just a little rain for the past 3 hours.  Nice and cool for sleeping!

As I close, my thoughts return to the Air Force troup and the many patriotic songs that have influenced our lives over the years through out our nation.  I am proud to be an American and remember the men and women serving in the armed services. 

God bless the United States of America!

Marsha

1 comment:

  1. The Royal Gorge and the Air Force Academy are certainly worth the visit. Too bad you didn't get a chance to see the inside of the chapel. Hope the good weather continues!

    ReplyDelete