Keller Travels

Keller Travels

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Day 1 and Day 2: Downers Grove to Colorado Springs

We have had 2 long days of driving, 500 and 575 miles, and arrived a day early in Colorado Springs.  It was warm driving through IL and MO and just plain hot, high 90's, driving through KS today. I decided I needed to step up and drive to help Phil on these long days.  So I have and honestly it has been pretty easy.  Of course I have not pulled into a gas station and have only turned one corner!

Last night we camped at Clinton State Park just outside of Lawrence, KS.  Very nice park.  After supper
we went for a walk around the park and was greeted by two old guys, sitting at a picnic table and feeding 5-10 raccoons.  They buy cat and dog food plus marshmallows for the nightly feast. Interesting way to spend  your evenings.  I wonder if the park rangers know about this.   There are a group of men who volunteer their time in the park, 15hrs week, and in turn camp free.  Pretty sweet for retirees!

Tonight we are at a beautiful campground about 15 miles southwest of Colorado Springs.  We are excited to start hiking in the mountains again and explore this area.  This is our first time here.  We'll stay here 4 nights, a treat for us as we don't often spend that many nights in one place. 

Been a long day, more tomorrow

Marsha









1 comment: